Monday, March 28, 2011

The Birdwell Family Goes Hollywood. . .

I keep getting asked why we decided to try out for the show, "My House Is Worth What?" so here is the story. . . . . .

Way back in October of 2008 I was looking around online one afternoon, killing time.  I came across an article in the Tallahassee Democrat about HGTV's "My House Is Worth What?" show looking for families in the Tallahassee area to cast on their show.  Of course there was a link given to the application you had to fill out.  I didn't think much of it until. . . I just happened to mention to Paul later that evening that I had seen that article.  He said to me, "hmmm. . . that sounds interesting but you couldn't possibly get us on that show."  HA!  What did he say to me?  Of course I took it as a challenge at that point.

In months prior to that I had been contacted by a national magazine about our recently built home and they ended up putting an eight page article in their magazine and even putting our home and a picture of Paul and me on the front cover!  If I could swing that then why would a national TV show be to out of the question?  I was on a mission to show my husband up!

I filled out the application but had one small problem.  Usually the people on the show WANTED to sell their house and therefore wanted to know its worth and their equity in it.  We, however, had no plans to sell.  So, I just decided that the perfect story line could be that we might ONE DAY want to sell it when Zachary was of school age in order to move to another school zone.  That was my storyline and I submitted the application, pictures and home video to Pie Town Productions in Los Angeles, CA.

A month passed and I never heard anything from the show.  I had actually forgotten about it!  Then, one day, around 5pm (I was at my husband's office) the show called my cell phone.  It was the producer telling me that they loved what I submitted and wanted to interview us to see if we would be a good fit for the show.  I was so excited!  Paul was dumbfounded.  In the next few days we had a conference call with them and Paul and I passed the test.  They told us they would be sending a film crew at the end of January.  So, we had very little time to get the house ready.

They filmed in January and it was an EXHAUSTING day.  I don't remember EVER having my legs and feet hurt that much.  I was literally standing up from dawn until dusk going through millions of "takes".  I have to say that by the end of the day I was NOT finding it enjoyable anymore.  I don't think I would be good at making movies and being famous.  But, it was an interesting process and even Zachary was filmed for a few minutes.  It was something different, a new memory to make!

The show is ONLY 30 minutes long and our segment is only 10 minutes long.  Why it takes ALL DAY LONG to film 10 minutes is mind boggling.  But, it did!  (And, they even complimented us by telling us we were easy to work with and made everything go so quickly!)

The show was suppose to be aired about 6 months after filming.  That time came and went and then they told us it would be another 6 months.  That time came and went.  Eventually we were told the show was cancelled.  That was about a year ago.  A couple of weeks ago I started seeing the show back in the TV listings so I did a little bit of investigating.  Sure enough, the show is back with new episodes and we are scheduled for Monday, April 11th.  The show is airing at 7:30 AM though.  I guess we will be DVRing it and watching it that evening with our friends and family.  We plan to have a viewing party of course!

It will be interesting to see ourselves on TV.  It will be even more funny to see Zachary when he was not even 2 years old!  We are looking forward to alot of laughs. . . .

AirDate: Monday, April 11th
Time:  7:30AM
Channel:  HGTV, High Definition Comcast Cable Channel 415
or Comcast Cable Channel 56 (not high def)

Here are some photos from when the film crew was here. . .

Beth with SuperDuper Spencer Cooper!


Filming outside and trying to quiet the neighbors down.




Jason Naumann was a trip to work with. . . .hilarious!


The show's producer, Dominique Anders was so nice and friendly.


The "mike guy" was actually named Mike!


Finally finished! Whew, what a long day!


A picture of our magazine cover.  The Birdwell's get involved in all sorts of stuff!


1 comment: