Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Arthur Alexander Birdwell. . . Romping In Heaven!


Arthur Alexander Birdwell
August 31, 2002 - May 11, 2011


As a Christian, I firmly believe that God takes care of His creations, and of course, that includes doggies.  Whether it be that they actually go to heaven or if He has another plan for them, I believe they are well cared for.

Today, sadly, Paul and I had to decide to put our basset hound Alex to sleep.  It was a sad decision but I believe one that was right for him.  We found out that he had skin cancer when he developed a cyst/sore that would not stop bleeding.  After a visit to the vet they determined that he wouldn't have very long.  I didn't want to him to get to the point where he was suffering so we decided to let him rest.  

My sweet husband was with him, holding him and talking to him, while I stayed home with Chase.  He was very loving to do this without me.  I have done it three times now in my lifetime and I just didn't feel like I could do it today.

Alex definitely enjoyed a great life.  He was with a family that loved him and took care of him. Some would say he was spoiled.  Definitely MORE spoiled before the kids arrived in our lives but still, every night he was "tucked in" by Mom or Dad to his air conditioned 8x10 shed that he enjoyed during these hot summer months.  He loved having the invisible fence where he could enjoy his entire property all day long.  And, recently, since his appetite had declined, he was enjoying roast, gravy, carrots, and potatoes on his dog food every morning.  He loved it!  

Ironically I had a "photoshoot" with Alex and Jessi a few days ago.  I'm glad I got some fun pictures of them when they were outside playing around.  Alex will be very missed by our family, including his best buddy Jessi, our pup left behind.  She is eleven years old now and I always thought she would go first but I guess things never go as you "plan".  I don't think Alex would have done well at all if she would have gone first.  I think overall she will handle it okay after a few days.  She has glaucoma in both eyes and is blind and almost deaf I think but she still has some good days ahead.  Right now she is a happy pup and I hope she can stay that way.

Not looking forward to explaining this to Zachary.  Thankfully when all this happened he was happily unaware and enjoying a train adventure with Grammy and Papa.  I'm hoping he won't take it hard.  He is very close with the kitties but not as close with the pups.

Alex was our typical, comical, happy basset hound.  He was wonderful to our family and children.  He was the only dog Paul and I ever brought home together.  

We love you and will all miss you very much Alex.  Have fun romping in heaven!





I'm glad he didn't suffer and he was a happy pup here!


She cleaned his ears every single day!  He was a kept man!!



Jessi Anne will miss him for sure. . . 





4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear your sad news Elizabeth! My thoughts are with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Di and familyMay 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM

    So sorry to learn you had to say goodbye to your devoted Alex. Losing a pet is one of the most difficult things in this life and my heart goes out to you, sweet Beth, and all your family. Paul was a dear to take him. Treasure your photos and wonderful memories of Alex. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Erin and Aunt Di for your sweet comments. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww sorry Aunt Beth! I know how much you love those puppies! :( Hope you just remember all the good times :) and that I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete